Palm vein scan recognition for patient identification solutions
Why choose palm vein recognition for patient identification
Palm vein recognition technology is one of the biometric technologies most widely accepted by patients and healthcare providers because it identifies patients with a high level of accuracy, and is easy for patients to use and accept.
Why has palm vein scanning and recognition technology been most widely accepted by healthcare providers?
- Palm vein recognition technology provides a high level of accuracy for patient identification.
- Each patient’s palm vein pattern is unique and stable over their lifetime, making palm vein recognition technology an ideal method for identifying patients across a wide range of demographics.
- Palm vein recognition technology can be used to enroll and identify virtually 100% of the patient population. Due to palm vein recognition’s subcutaneous nature, external injuries, burns, or other skin problems do not affect the technology’s accuracy.
- Palm vein recognition scanners offer an intuitive, non-intrusive, stigma-free, and easy-to-use interface that patients are very comfortable with.
How palm vein recognition technology works
A palm vein recognition technology solution pairs a biometric scanner with advanced patient matching software. A biometric palm vein scanner uses a near-infrared light wave to capture the vein pattern in a patient’s palm. This scan produces a unique biometric template that is a digital representation of the patient’s unique vein pattern. During the initial enrollment process, the palm vein recognition technology solution associates this unique biometric template with the patient’s medical record in their healthcare provider’s Health Information System (HIS). Once enrolled, returning patients simply provide their date of birth and scan their palm.1 Then, the palm vein recognition technology retrieves patients’ individual medical records, automatically and accurately.
How palm vein recognition technology improves patient safety
Advanced palm vein recognition technology empowers registration staff to accurately identify patients and allows them to access the correct medical record for each patient. Palm vein recognition is the only biometric identification solution that has been proven to consistently identify patients accurately at any point in the care process, including inpatient, outpatient, and emergency room settings – it can even be used to identify unconscious Jane or John Doe patients. In addition, palm vein recognition solutions have a very high patient acceptance and satisfaction rate, especially when compared with other patient identifiers. Patients appreciate the intuitive, easy to use scanners and the safety benefits and convenience of the technology.
Your palm vein recognition technology solution
Imprivata offers a palm vein recognition technology solution called Imprivata PatientSecure. The positive patient identification solution increases patient safety and improves the patient experience. For further details visit the Imprivata PatientSecure product page or request a demo.
1. Date of birth is used in conjunction with the biometric scan for two-factor patient identification, recommended by The Joint Commission for patient safety.