Optimizing Workflows with Single Sign-On
Fast, secure access enhances the care delivery process. Independent research has proven that care providers can save 15 minutes or more with Imprivata® Single Sign-On and authentication management. But in any deployment, it's worth spending time to carefully optimize the solution for specific workflows. Care providers in high traffic areas typically log in to machines 60-70 times a day. So every second and every click you can eliminate adds up.
Here are some specific examples of how you can take what you learn thru workflow analysis and use SSO to improve speed and ease of use for care providers.
Find and automate repetitive clicks
In workflow analysis, look for repetitive clicks during remote access log in and automate them. This is a simple way to remove minor annoyances, interruptions and save time in the care provider's day — freeing up time to focus on patient care.
Automatically launch applications on user login
Automatically launching specific applications on EMR start-up reduces clicks and saves time for care providers. You can auto-launch based on:
- Machine location: If everyone at a specific machine location (such as pharmacy) uses the same application each time, have it launch when the user logs into the machine.
- Active Directory group: Every care provider with a specific role (such as radiology technician) might use the same applications. When it makes sense, auto-launch applications based on the user's role.
Keep key applications running between user switches
Some healthcare applications take a long time to load — sometimes 10 or 20 seconds or more. For care providers using shared workstations, this delay is annoying and painful. You can configure Imprivata OneSign® to keep the application running between user switches on a shared workstation. When the next user logs in, the previous user is logged out and the new user is logged in without having to wait the 10-20 seconds for the application to launch. This simple change can deliver a large, visible time savings for care providers.
Set up drive mappings for users
Include automatic drive mappings for care providers at shared workstations so they can move between shared workstations with minimal disruption and maintain access management. Automate drive mapping by:
- User: Personal drive mappings following individuals between shared workstation
- Group: Everyone in the same group shares the same drive mappings
- Location: When users are in a specific location, the drives are always mapped for that department.
Want more tips for saving care providers time?
Contact Imprivata Professional Services here for best practices and guidance on how single sign-on and authentication can optimize workflows.